Friday, October 2, 2009

I'm still here - the aftermath

Yesterday was a very, very strange day.  I didn't actually manage to eat anything other than juice until about 4pm, when I finally ate a piece of fresh, juicy nectarine.  It was strange; I almost didn't like the sensation of having something in my mouth, and actually chewing.

I really had to force myself to eat in the end - so I made a batch of soup - carrot, celery and roasted onion, with some herbs and miso and blended until smooth.  It really was delicious and slipped down easily, but I felt utterly full after one bowl.  It was a beautiful experience, sitting down with the family and sharing a meal.  Toward the end of the juicing period I realised I was becoming like the family dog, sitting at the table watching everyone else eat.

So, here I am, not feeling so dejected as I was yesterday.  I've had some fresh fruit again today, and a small bowl of my soup from yesterday.

Most importantly I feel very, very well, and I haven't thought about junky food at all.  I also feel very positive again about the blog, and I'm going to take my camera and report back on the events of this weekend;  that is, the SF Vegetarian festival.

With the blog, I want to share my foodie journey, warts and all.

Meantime, here is my recipe for my soup:

Fast-Breaker Soup

6 large onions, either red, golden or a mix
3 or 4 carrots, roughly chopped
half a head of celery, roughly chopped
big bunch of parsley, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs
1 dessertspoon miso
around 3 quarts water
olive oil

Roughly chop the onions and place in a wide-based pan, along with a tiny amount of olive oil.  Place on stove at VERY low heat.  This step feels as if it takes forever.  The idea is to allow the onions to release their juices and to steam until they are soft.  Just stir them every ten minutes or so, while you're doing other things around the house.  Try not to rush them.  They'll start to soften and look pale and unappetising.  Don't be worried, just let them do their thing.  Eventually they'll start to colour up and show some caramelisation.  Once that happens, it's OK to turn up the heat a little.  Keep stirring and growing increasingly excited by the delicious smells beginning to emanate from the pan.  Keep on going until they are all a gorgeous, caramel colour.  Turn off the heat.

Put the remaining vegetables and the herbs in a big pot, and wave the oil bottle over them for about a third of a second.  Heat gently (hotter than for the onions), stirring and sizzling until the veges are a little browned.  Add the miso and the water and bring to boil.  Once it's boiling, turn down the heat and simmer until the veges are softened.  Turn off the heat and cool.

When everything is cool, throw it all in the blender, including the onions.  Make it as smooth or as chunky as you like (I like it very smooth and creamy).  Put it back in your soup pot, heat gently and taste for seasonings.

Serve and enjoy.

This soup is light and still satisfying.  It responds well to a squeeze of orange juice, or the addition of curry spices, if you like them.  If you want to make it more substantial, you can add lentils or chickpeas during the cooking process or after you've blended it (pre-cooked, of course), depending on the texture you like.  Another nice variation is to serve with a spoonful of delicious hummus floating in the centre.  This looks pretty, adds a little protein and extra flavour, and also adds a creamy texture, with its tiny amount of fat.

Sprinkle with some freshly-chopped herbs, like parsley, oregano, cilantro or chives.

My husband likes it with lots of toasted bread with a garlic clove rubbed on it.  I just nosh on it as is.









No comments:

Post a Comment